Marketing on a Saturday

I missed my weekday marketing this week. Surprisingly, the fresh food I bought last Tuesday was able to last till the end of the week. 

I have guests coming from the church to visit us today and I want to prepare the best dinner. So, I decided to pick out my fresh food from the Tiong Bahru wet market. I love their fish stalls for the freshness and variety. You could pick out fresh crabs swimming in water, lobsters and clams, mussels etc. There are easily 20 fish/seafood stalls in Tiong Bahru wet market. 


I bought S$25 of pork and that was for 1kg of pork loin bones quoted at S$15/kg and 2 packets of S$5 minced lean meat. Looking back to my previous posts, I  thought that the price of the pork bones was on the high side.

I spent also S$30 on my fish and prawns. It was S$10 for Batang fish and S$20 for 1kg of prawns. Pretty reasonable, I thought.

Vegetables - S$18 

At the vegetable stall, I bought lotus root for only S$6.80 enough for 8 people, 3 bunches of water cress at S$2 and the rest - spinach, sweet corn, red scallots and garlic at S$8.80.

Planning to cook "Di Wang Ji" today, I bought a whole chicken @ S$6.80 and 1 chicken breast fillet @ S$2.70. 

Beef cost S$9. The half kg price quoted was S$10. I like this beef stall because the stall lady always provides advice on which part of the beef to use. Disclaimer: no benefit was given to me at all to mention the stall. 


I walked one more round to see if I needed anything else. Spotting the small fishes which I liked for frying, I decided to buy some. However, which stall to pick from was a tricky question. There were more than half a dozen stalls to choose from. I ended up with one stall which I had not patronized before. I asked for the price of the cod fish just to check. It quoted S$50 per kg for its cod fish. I thought it was rather expensive compared to Meiling market of S$45 per kg.

However, I proceeded with my purchase and told myself that I would try another stall for stall next time. 

We will see... So small fish was at S$20. See below.


I always love the Belachan chilli sold at the beancurd (酿豆腐)stall. I took a picture so readers could have a look. I usually add lime so it tastes spicy with a little sourness. Awesome!! I bought two at S$5. You could freeze it for use within two months. 




My last item on the list was fruits. I can't miss this one as the fruits sold in Tiong Bahru market are fresh albeit expensive. I bought 1 packet of jackfruit at S$3, half a watermelon at S$7, two packets of seedless green grapes and 1 box doughnut peach at S$28.

In total, I spent S$38 on fruits.

Don't miss the vegetarian and the “zui guei ” stalls in the food court on the second floor. I will cover that next time. 

Have a good week ahead and thanks for reading! 

If you like this article, click here :-> 

Like on Facebook


No comments:

Follow Us Here

Alt Text or Photo Title Goes Here Alt Text or Photo Title Goes Here Alt Text or Photo Title Goes Here Alt Text or Photo Title Goes Here Alt Text or Photo Title Goes Here Alt Text or Photo Title Goes Here
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...